Read More
Read More

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Is the 9mm Hi Power Still a Viable Defense Gun?


"I shot a friend's Browning Hi Power 9mm and liked it. Would it make a good self-defense gun? I've heard that 9mm is too weak for self-protection. I like the gun, but not the caliber."

(Hello. The quotes above are fairly typical of questions I get via email on a regular basis and I thought that perhaps a "public" article might better explain my position and save having to respond to this question quite so often. We'll see.)

There are factors besides caliber in determining what makes a "good" self-defense handgun. Reliability is the first thing, regardless of caliber, and the Browning Hi Power has proven itself an extremely reliable pistol. If you are not comfortable with "Condition One" or "Cocked-and-Locked," the Hi Power would not be a good choice for your self-defense pistol. I am very aware that some folks prefer to carry with the hammer down on a chambered round or with the chamber empty and a full magazine, but I cannot recommend anything except Condition One for any single-action automatic. It's more dangerous to lower the hammer on a pistol having a round in the barrel than the perceived danger in having one with the hammer at full cock. Trying to cock the pistol under the stress of attack while possibly in a physical struggle will probably result in the pistol being dropped are too slow into action. Carrying in Condition Three (barrel empty/magazine full) assumes that you'll have both hands free and uninjured when the attack comes. This cannot be counted upon in my opinion. While the Hi Power is certainly "safe" in any of these carry modes, only Condition One allows for instant readiness with but one hand if necessary.

Regarding 9mm vs. 45, it's been my observation that there is probably not much difference between either if you get good hits, and spare me the "hit 'em in the little finger and the forty-five will knock them down." That is simply not true and never has been. It is physically impossible, and I won't argue it here. Those who believe it can do so or do their own independent research to prove to themselves that this old wives' tale is just that! This is not to say that the .45 ACP is not a really good defensive round, only that no commonly used defensive handgun round has the "knock down" effect attributed to the .45 ACP. Still, if looking at the better loads in each caliber, the bigger one probably does have the edge, at least in my view.